It occurred to me this past week that though I have spent time discussing the results of my flipped classroom approach from this semester, I have spent very little time describing the physical set up and the tools that have enabled me to make it work. Last Tuesday I had the opportunity to present my classroom technology tools and the flipped classroom at the annual state convention for the Georgia Association of Secondary School Principals (GASSP). In preparation for my presentation I put some very serious thought into developing a resource that would guide teachers through the process of completely changing their approach to classroom learning. The result that I developed was the website that I have linked below. In the site, I have tried to explain some of the thought-process and planning steps that I went through in the preparation phase of the idea. I have also embedded some examples and results for peer review.
Progress –As I approach the final 20 days of the semester, I am happy to reflect that flipped classroom has been an effective approach to student learning. Not only has it been effective for students, but it has also freed up a lot more classroom time for me to differentiate instruction and incorporate technological tools for further material enrichment. When I made the decision to flip one of my classes this semester as a trial run, I was concerned with the relationship building time that I had prided myself on through direct instruction in the past. I have found that though I do miss some of the lecture interaction/performance in front of students, the experience has still been very rewarding and I have developed a better understanding with the students in my flipped class than I have in any other classes in my career.
Development – The fun (and challenging) aspect of altering my teaching approach this past semester has been designing the video lessons and finding creative ways to work with the material in the classroom for student enrichment. The answer to the video lessons has been provided through the iPad app “Educreations”. With many available options available, educreations provided me with tools that I have needed for my class. The creative lessons part has been made even more interesting in light of the pilot with iPad2’s that I have been a part of this past semester. I feel invigorated with the energy of a new teacher and have challenged myself to create fun and insightful activities for my classroom. These have manifested themselves in webquests, formatted self-grading Excel worksheets, small group activities, labs, and iPad games.
Here is a picture of students studying their polyatomic ions with an iPad app called Mahjong Chem. Students were required to match up terms with symbols and mastered their list with a game. Getting them to study their polyatomic ions has never been easier!